The SHC Youth Leadership and Scholarship Program
- Provides scholarships to youth who have experienced homelessness to ensure their completion of a post-secondary education program.
- Assists youth with financial aid processes, mental health advocacy and referrals, professional legal advocacy and referrals, and assistance in locating and establishing local contacts for general support and services.
- Builds a stable peer and adult support network for recipients, before, during, and after their college careers, and into their transition into the workforce.
- Offers young people meaningful opportunities to engage in advocacy, while providing sustained support services to help ensure graduation and success in life.
- $2,000 scholarship award ($1,000 for the 1st year, $1,000 for the 2nd year of college).
- A minimum of 10 scholarships are awarded.
- Trip to a national awards ceremony (travel and expenses included).
- Second gathering in Washington, DC, 18 months after the initial scholarship award (all expenses included).
Who Should Apply?
- Applicants must have been born on or after Nov. 9, 1998.
- Applicants must be entering college for the first time during the 2019-20 school year. This means that the application is for high school seniors; for those who are in GED programs; or for those who have taken a gap year.
- Applicants who have experienced homelessness within the last six years are eligible to apply.
- Undocumented students who meet these criteria are eligible.
[Deadline to Apply: November 9, 2018, before 11:59 PM PST]
For more information, please contact Amy Bradley (email@example.com), Director of Youth Leadership and Scholarships.