Monday, October 17, 2022 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm
The Urban Institute and the Jain Family Institute invite you to join a virtual discussion on recent changes in state cash assistance to families.During the pandemic, some households have fared worse economically than others, while state governments have had unprecedented strong revenues. While some states cut tax rates, others used these funds to expand support for children and families. This event will explore how income tax systems have changed, focusing on tax credit design in three states (Colorado, New Jersey, and Vermont) from policymaker, recipient, and advocate perspectives. Panelists will explore the following questions:
- How do these states provide relief for families?
- Why was reform a priority and are there forms sustainable?
- How were changes enacted and were families part of the design process?
- What are the outcomes for beneficiaries? Are all families being reached?
- Have lessons emerged that could apply to other states and the federal government?